A Letter From the Class of 2021

Elizabeth Goetz, Editor

From the class of 2021,

As you know, we are having an interesting senior year. Uncertainty seems to be the only certainty anymore. With that being said, we, as a class, are offering a piece of advice that we believe is helpful for students going through the high school process. The full list of each senior’s quotes is linked at the end of the article, but here are the most commonly quoted points. 

Throughout these short four years, you will be what you learn about most. 

“Don’t be afraid to lose yourself and find a completely different you,” Courtney Clinesmith says. High school is the time to try new things and figure out what makes you, you. Break out of that shell, and, even if it makes you a bit uncomfortable, try something that you thought you’d never do. 

Get involved.

“Being involved can be beneficial in so many ways, such as allowing you to gain new skills, hobbies, and make memories and friendships that will last a lifetime,” says Jenna Seabolt. The benefits of being involved throughout high school are nearly endless. You have the opportunity to create new relationships, expand your leadership abilities, become better at communicating with others, and gain many other skills that you will need for the rest of your life. Don’t knock something until you try it. That thing that you’re shy about trying may just end up being one of your favorite high school memories. 

A positive attitude can change your entire day. 

“Each day is how you make it,” states Sadie Jantz. Nicole Yunco agrees. “Find something to motivate you to get up in the morning,” she says. If you are excited and ready for what lies ahead, you are much more likely to begin your day with a positive attitude; the day that you expect when you step out of bed is the day that you will have.

Overall, enjoy it, because it goes by fast. 

By far, it was the most common piece of advice from our class. Flashing back to the beginning of our freshman year, we thought that we had all the time in the world. Four more years, we thought. Shouldn’t we be close to being done yet? The truth is, we were a lot closer than we thought. “Cherish every single moment with every person. It doesn’t matter if that part in your life sucks, just cherish every moment you get,” quotes Hunter Renick. Rafael Trevino continues, “Cherish your time here. You never know when you’re ever going to see your homies again. Make every day the best that you can, so you can be happy and remember who you went to high school with.” High school is a crazy time, filled with both highs and lows. The secret of it all isn’t how to get your homework done within ten minutes or how to sleep as late as possible and still look a little better than a walking zombie (although those are both very important). It’s learning to cherish every moment, even in the chaos. Whether you take the previous advice to heart or not, this is what each of us hopes that you’ll remember on your journey through Cimarron High.

Each senior’s snippet of advice can be found here.