College Football National Championship

Josh Weishapl, Sports Writer

The College Football Playoff National Championship will kick off tonight at 7 p.m. CST. The game will feature two powerhouse teams from the SEC: the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Georgia Bulldogs. 

These teams are very familiar with one another as they had just previously played in the SEC Championship just about a month ago. Alabama had the upper hand in that matchup, as they won easily, putting up 41 points against the best defense in the nation. Alabama’s Heisman-winning quarterback, Bryce Young, won MVP as he put up video-game-like numbers throwing for 421 and 4 touchdowns on 44 pass attempts, completing 26 of those.

This year’s SEC Championship isn’t the only big game these two juggernauts have faced off in during the past few years, either. Alabama got the better of the Bulldogs again back in 2018 as they met in that year’s CFP National Championship game. Georgia went into the half with a 13-0 lead, but Alabama clawed its way back into the game in the second half. The Crimson tied scored 10 points in each of the third and fourth quarters as Georgia only scored a touchdown. The game now tied 20-20; the teams went into overtime where former Alabama quarterback and Tua Tagovialoa connected with then-sophomore wide receiver DeVonta Smith for a walk-off touchdown on the second play of their drive, winning the game 26-23.

So as you can see, these two teams are very familiar with each other and big games; however, Alabama tends to put on a better showing when they play. The Crimson tide leads the all-time series against Georgia, 42-25-4. Alabama has also won the past SEVEN meetings between the two. Despite all of that, the Bulldogs are favored in this game by 2.5 points by VegasInsider, and I’m sure they’re ready to break the streak of losses.