On Top of the World Once Again

The Mailman Delivers

Josh Weishapl, Sports Writer

Four Decades. That’s how long it’s been since the University of Georgia Bulldogs won a national football championship, but they broke the streak on January 10th, 2022. Last night, the Bulldogs took down the Crimson Tide of Alabama to a tune of 33-18. 

The game started fairly slow for a national championship, with the combined score going into halftime, sitting at an abysmal 15 points. Both teams were struggling to put the ball in the endzone until two minutes left in the third quarter when Georgia halfback Zamir White pushed through for a one-yard touchdown, putting the ‘Dawgs up 13-9 after tacking on the PAT. Alabama would quickly answer with a 21-yard chip shot field goal, making the Crimson Tide only down by one by a score of 13-12. 

The next possession held nightmares for Bulldog fans, as quarterback Stetson Bennett was hurried out of the pocket where he fumbled as he tried to heave the ball out of bounds. Alabama safety, Alab Branch, would pick up the wobbly ball inches before it would go out of bounds, giving the Crimson Tide possession. Freshman phenom Bryce Young and the Alabama offense would capitalize on this error, scoring their first touchdown of the game and placing the Tide up by eight points after missing the two-point conversion, score 18-13. 

For most people, a fumble in crunch time would cause them to hide in their shell like a turtle, but not for Stetson “The Mailman” Bennett. After that unfortunate gaffe, Bennett would flourish, delivering a 40-yard dime to Adoni Mitchell, resulting in a touchdown. However, after missing the two-point conversion, the score would be 19-18 in favor of the Bulldogs. Alabama’s offense would stall on the next drive, giving Bennett and the Bulldogs the ball back. Georgia wouldn’t look back after that as “The Mailman” would pass for a 10-yard touchdown to wide receiver Brock Bowers, making the score gap eight with a score of 26-18 after the PAT. 

Alabama would get the ball back with 3:33 left in the final quarter and a chance to tie the game; however, this would only be thought as Bryce Young would throw a game-sealing interception that would return for a touchdown by Georgia defensive back Kelee Ringo, putting the UGA up 33-18 and giving the Bulldogs their first national championship in football since 1980.

Stetson Bennett would be named player of the game after throwing for 224 yards and two touchdowns, including a perfect 4/4 after his fumble in the third quarter.