First Day of School Met with Apprehension and Excitement

Students face new policies due to COVID

Elizabeth Goetz, Editor/Feature Writer

Socrates once said, “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” The 2020-2021 school year is a genuine, physical embodiment of this quote. With new COVID rules and regulations in place, the first day of school was an adjustment for students. It also marked many different milestones for students throughout our school. 

Even though they stay in the same building, the thought of transferring from junior high to high school can be nerve-wracking. Freshman Emily Goetz recounts on her first day of high school. “It was exciting for me to start high school. I would say that it rose above my expectations.” When asked about what she’s excited for this year, she stated she is looking forward to the tennis season, spending time with friends, and enjoying high school as a whole. 

On the opposite end, this was the last, first day of high school for our seniors. Here’s what senior Kaitlyn Jarnagin had to say about it. “It was different with all of the chaotic things going on in our world right now, but it for sure lived up to my expectations… I was just happy to be able to attend school this year and see everyone. The majority of my class has been here our whole lives, so having all of these last events with them has been exciting and sad at the same time.” Senior year is already an emotional year, so adding the uncertainty of whether classes will be virtual, in person, or hybrid, only compounds those emotions.

While this school year may look dramatically different than those of the past, the students that attend Cimarron High have, and will continue to persevere through it all. With new memories and exciting futures lying ahead, who wouldn’t want to be a Bluejay?

First-year high school students, Emily Goetz and Paisle Werth make their way to their lockers on the first day of school.
(Elizabeth Goetz)
Seniors Storm Flores and Andrew Ridenour pose for a photo during the first day of school rotations. (Elizabeth Goetz)