CHS Cross Country Ladies Leading The Way

Making Strides in League

The Cimarron Cross Country team ran at the Lakin Invitation on October 10 (Saturday). The CHS Varsity girls placed 3rd behind #1 Stanton County in 2A and #2 Scott City in 3A. Senior Courtney Clinesmith placed 10th, Senior Macy Fugitt 16th, Freshman Alexa English 19th, Sophomore Gracie Millershaski 23rd, and Freshman Veronica Greene 25th.  The Varsity boys placed 8th behind #1 Stanton County in 2A and #4 Scott City in 3A. Senior Damion Santisteven placed 9th, Freshman David Mendez 26th, Senior Christian Harmon 52nd, with Freshman Gael Cardiel and  Alex Wittman coming in 53rd and 59th respectfully.

Every couple of weeks, Kansas Cross Country coaches vote on the top seven teams in the state. Poll number three had 68 coaches voting.  Cimarron Girls were ranked #3 in the poll.
“The coaches vote on meet performances,” said Blattner, “at Southeast Saline, they placed second beating #7 Smokey Valley. At Stanton County, they beat #2 Scott City and #5 Southwestern Heights, and at Pratt, they beat 4A Pratt High School.”

Junior Varsity and Junior High also did well in Lakin.  Freshman Aleah Cervantes placed 4th with Sophomore Shannon Salyer placing 6th and Sophomore Chloe Bertelsen taking 10th.  Two seventh grade boys placed with good standings.  Asher English placed 6th, and Tayven Schafer placed 12th out of

“As a first-year coach, I’ve established high expectations from the beginning. Although I wasn’t sure which team would have more success at the beginning of the year, each meet surprises me. To begin with, the lady jays have competed with their competition at every meet thus far. At the South East of Saline meet in particular, the women showed up beating ranked teams and then carried the momentum to Stanton County beating the #2 3A team, Scott City. The men’s team started great and received votes, but have faced some adversity with injuries since then. Once we have the team healthy, they will be tough to beat at league and regionals. Our women’s team has the advantage of keeping close gaps during races, and with the men, they have talented front runners with a tight group following; both teams have different tactics and have done well trying to keep a low score. I’m looking forward to league and regionals and seeing them compete. I’m not really a believer in time or personal records in cross country since every course is different. But all the hard work is done; we’re just waiting on payday!” Coach Kari Blattner said.

Asher English, 7th grade
Sophomore Shannon Salyer (Delani English)