Top Ten Movies on Netflix

Delani English, Feature Writer

With things starting to slow down in America, the movie industry is starting to make a comeback. Here are the top ten movies on Netflix as of October 2, 2020, according to Collider.

1. Enola Holmes

Millie Bobby Brown and Louis Partridge star in this newly released film you won’t want to miss. Based on the book series by Nancy Springer, “Enola Holmes” revolves around Sherlock Holmes’s youngest sibling, who grew up with her mother in solitude. One day awakes to find out her mom is missing! So, Enola sneaks into London and follows leads and clues in the search for her lost mom.

1. Hunt for the Wilder People

“Hunt for the Wilder People” is a New Zealand adventure movie with an abnormal duo. What do a grumpy older man and a bad-mouthed child have in common? Well, in this case, they are both the target of a search through the bush! Will the pair make it out alive? Watch this whimsical and terrifying adaptation to find out!

1. Fargo

Directed and written by Joel and Ethan Coen, “Fargo” is a mystery/thriller, comedy, and drama from 1996 that will surprise you at every turn. The performances are amazing, and, with the great directors/ writers, you are bound to remember the characters forever.

1. Lady Bird

Directed by Greta Gerwig and starring Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf, “Lady Bird” is a coming of age story following Bird’s senior year of high school, which in tales all of the mistakes. Metcalf and Ronan also portrait the ups and downs of a relationship between daughter and mother and show the world their incredible acting skills.

1. Sleepy Hollow

Starring Johnny Depp and directed by Tim burton? How could you get any spookier! “Sleepy Hollow” follows the police constable, Ichabod Crane, as he investigates a series of mysterious decapitations in a small town in 1799. Horrifying with a sense of humor, “Sleepy Hollow” will leave you laughing and screaming!

1. A Knights Tale

Starring Heath Ledger in the prime of his career, alongside Paul Bettany and many more, “A Knights Tale” is a movie designed for every mood. With a score of songs from Queen, David Bowie, and Heart in a renaissance setting, you can only imagine that this film will leave you laughing out loud.

1. Back to the Future 1,2,3

Starring Michal J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, and Lea Thompson, the “Back to the Future” trilogy is a film series for the ages. The movie follows seventeen-year-old Marty Mcfly as he gets sent back to 1955 and has to get his friend, Dr. Emmet Brown, to help him get back to the ‘80s. However, while in the past, Marty messes up his parent’s meeting and falling in love! So, he has to spend a week in the ’50s trying to fix his parent’s relationship, so the future doesn’t get altered before he’s out of time. Then, in the sequels, we are still following the same cast of characters, but in the ’50s (AGAIN!), 2015, and the Old West.

1. Y Tu Mama Tambien

This film is our second coming of age drama in this list and follows two best friends as they embark on a road trip with a woman in her twenties. Along the way, they discover more and more about themselves and each other. Stunningly shot by Emmanuel Lubezki and directed by Alfonso Cuaron, “Y Tu Mama Tambien” is a story that not only talks about the two boys but allows you to realize them fully.

1. 13th

The “13th” is a documentary film directed by Ava DuVernay and explains in-depth about the 13th amendment and the incarceration of minorities that followed it. This film points out very clearly that even though cultural racism causes the mass incarceration of African- Americans, there are financial issues. This film is a great way to learn further about what is happening today and why it is such an issue.

1. Her

Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson, Amy Adams, and Chris Pratt, these actors alone should make you want to watch this movie. “Her” is a heartfelt story about the love and loneliness of being a human on Earth. The cinematography and the score are impeccable, and the actor’s performances can’t compare. This movie will have you crying in its beauty.